Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm Learning

I am learning more everyday.
For example - I have learnt since getting married that my wife sheds more hair than I ever thought possible. I find it EVERYWHERE, on my clothes, clogging the drain, in our bed, clogging the vacuum cleaner head, but as of yet I haven't (that I remember anyway) found any in my food.
I have however found, on more than one occasion, a long, filthy black hair in my chinese food from the chinese shop down the road. Note to self - Do not EVER go back there.

I'm learning to overcome disappointments as I miss out on jobs that I've been applying for. I'm learning not to worry. I'm learning to keep plodding along, learning to not hate my temping jobs so much, and I'm learning how faithful God is every day. It is awesome. Praise Him!

I have also just learned something really awesome that I can't tell anyone - yet. I will as soon as I can, and I will probably post it up here.

In other news...
'Global warming' is losing the support of the public more and more everyday. Sorry Al Gore, you're going to have to find some other way to fleece the public of hard earned money to line your pockets.

The Senate race in Massachusetts is heating up. Normally this probably wouldn't be a big news story, but here's the catch. If the Republican candidate, Scott Brown wins, this would take the numbers in Senate to 59 Dem, 41 Rep. And that would be good news to me. Why? Because then the US Government would be forced to change their tactics and do things bi-partisanly. That is, treat things democratically.

The health care take over won when it went to the senate because the democrats had 60 members. Obama needed 60 votes for the take over to be passed. All he had to do was convince all democrat senators to vote 'yes' and he would have success. I'm not against that so much. However, my main problem with this is the way it was carried out. It was not a democratic process.

Knowing the republicans are generally opposed to government intrusion into the everyday choices of the public, he shut them out of talks. It became a one sided debate, aimed at bringing about the largest government takeover of the private sector in American history. Instead of transparency, these talks were held behind closed doors.

While campaigning for presidency, Obama promised to have a transparent government, have open doors talks with both sides of the political spectrum on issues such as health care, and to have c-span camera's present at all of these meetings. None of this happened. The talks resembled more of a secretive, under-cover-of-darkness campaign then a genuine, democratic process for the good of the people. Never mind the fact that only 30% of american's support the government take over of health care, and that most people actually oppose it.

So for me, anything that is going to bring democracy back into the white house is a good thing. I think it will be great to see the president faced with the challenge of working with both Democrats and Republicans, instead of just needing to do the bare minimum to get votes from his own party alone.

George W Bush (Republican) spent the majority of his presidency with a Democrat majority in both congress and the senate. He didn't have the option to do things any other way than bi-partisan. And I think that's a good thing. Not only does it mean that people on both sides of the political spectrum are better represented, it means both sides have to work together to reach the solution. And that has to be a good thing.

No comments: